The following list of web series is not ranked according to any of their factors. Also, the Vidooly Rating is completely unbiased and is based on the series’ statistics. Which were calculated considering the following- Number of videos, Publishing dates, Number of views, Average views per video, Views per hour, YouTube engagement, and Social media engagement.
But let us know in the comments below, which of these Indian web series is your number one and on which basis would you rank them.
Director: Anand Tiwari
Cast: Ali Fazal, Ayesha Raza, Gajraj Rao, Rajit Kapur, Shernaz Patel, Preetika Chawla, Priyanshu Painyuli, Neil Bhoopalam & Angira Dhar.
Vidooly Rating: 9/10
Reminds me of the good old times of 2010 when YF launched quality shows for the youth. For example. Mahi Way, Rishta.com, etc.
Of course, the parent company of YFilms is Yash Raj Films and they use the Band Baaja Baarat music But YFilms was launched in 2011 by Aditya Chopra to concentrate on new and young talent separately. For Example. Movies like- Luv ka the end, Mujhse Fraaandship karoge, and Mere dad ki Maruti. And now it’s focusing on the web series which has received a huge positive response from the Indian audience who were waiting for quality Indian online content.
BBB in a nutshell (from the Pilot)- There’s banging, (hence, the name) so careful, it’s NSFW. There’s a good plot which has the new gen reality in it, and there’s some amazing comedy which is what brings in a minimum of a million views on each episode.
2. Man’s World
Sponsors: The Global Goals partners
Director: Vikram Gupta
Cast: Parineeti Chopra, Kalki Koechlin, Richa Chadda, Soni Razdan, Pritish Nandy, Rhea Chakraborty, Bhumi Pednekar, Miss Malini, Cyrus Sahukar, Shweta Tripathi, Priyanka Bose, Nidhi Singh, Naveen Kasturia, Meiyang Chang, Aditi Singh Sharma, RJ Malishka, Anupama Chopra and Aditi Mittal.
Vidooly Rating: 8/10
It’s that time of the month where you should start watching sensible series if you don’t already. Make, and help make a small difference by changing mindsets.
Kiran believes the world is really unfair to men. Fed up, he prays for the world to flip and for men and women to interchange places. As they say, be careful what you wish for…Man’s World, the first original Y-Films series, is a what if.
What if women treated men, the way men treat women. It is a story about walking a mile in their shoes, in that world.
The series supports Goal 5 of the United Nations’ Global Goals for Sustainable Development. Goal 5 is about achieving Gender Equality and empowering all girls and women, everywhere.
3. Ladies Room
Sponsors: Mia from Tanishq
Director: Ashima Chibber
Cast: Saba Azad, Shreya Dhanwanthary, Gopal Dutt, Pawan Utam, Jagdish Rajpurohit.
Vidooly Rating: 6.5/10
Ladies Room is the raunchiest Y-Films series. This is a story of two besties and the mental adventures they go through in six different bathrooms over the six-episode series. It is a show about modern young girlfriends struggling to grow up even as they grow old. These girls are mad, bad and completely unapologetic about it! And they boldly take you where no man has gone before.
ARE YOU A MARKETER FROM OTT PLATFORM LOOKING FOR INSIGHTS? OR AN ADVERTISER SEARCHING DATA RELATED INSIGHTS ON OTT CONTENT? THEN, GET IN TOUCH WITH US AT SUBRAT@VIDOOLY.COM
Sponsors: Ponds, Uber, Kingfisher
Director: Amit Golani
Cast: Naveen Bansal, Jitendra Maheshwari, Yogendra Kumar Pandey, Saurabh Mandal, Bhati, Rajat Khanna, Vineet.
Vidooly Rating: 8/10
Web series from TVF are the most popular web series on YouTube India. The Viral Fever also popularly abbreviated TVF is an online digital entertainment channel. Arunabh Kumar founded this creative network to reach out to the younger generation.
They released their second original series Pitchers (first being Permanent Roommates). It’s a Comedy-Drama show on how engineers working in different companies quit their jobs and start a startup.
Sponsors: CommonFloor, Ola Cabs
Director: Sameer Saxena
Cast: Sumit Vyas, Nidhi Singh, Nidhi Bisht, Deepak Mishra.
Vidooly Rating: 9/10
Owing to its growing popularity with both TVF Pitchers and Permanent Roommates being watched by millions around the globe, they received funding of $10 Million from Tiger Global.
Permanent Roommates, the first drama series by TVF, is high quality (in story, acting, writing, direction), flawless, as well as fearless. It is a drama series but has the best of situational comedy from their channel.
“This is what we want TVF!” is an expression from the young Indians, who for years mourned the fall of television. Even though the mainstream is still pro-mass entertainment – the day is not far, when this expression will replace the mainstream. For many internet Indians, it is already doing so.
Sponsors: Pechkas Pictures, ScoopWhoop Talkies
Director: Vishwajoy Mukherjee
Cast: Pranay Manchanda, Shantanu Anam, Manik Papneja, Kriti Vij.
Vidooly Rating: 7/10
An original fiction web-series which chronicles the misadventures of three university flatmates who decide to start a midnight food delivery service. This genre-bending series takes you on a roller coaster ride as the oddball trio juggle student life with business, and invariably manage to land themselves into trouble.
Sponsors: Gillette Flexball
Director: Sahir Raza
Cast: Harman Singh, Nimisha Mehta, Auritra Ghosh, Raghu Ram.
Vidooly Rating: 6/10
AISHA My Virtual Girlfriend is the latest series from Indian web-programming company Arre. It is a darkly comic fable about romance and technology in modern India.
The online show is a flagship series for the company and part of a rising trend in web-based programming coming from South Asia.
Raghu is starring as himself, an @sshole, which is why people like it. And it seems to be inspired from the movie Her. But the story revolves around Sam, a bright young Indian coder with high aspirations, but under appreciated at work and unlucky in love.
With both his work and social life at rock bottom, Sam puts all his effort into the creation of a true artificial intelligence programme, an autonomous virtual assistant whom he calls ‘Aisha’. The show does a great job of keeping the audience engaged with a good-kinda-copied plot.
Director: Ajay Singh
Cast: Drashti Dhami, Karan Wahi, Karan Patel, Rithvik Dhanjani, Kritika Kamra, Rajeev Masand, Disha Parmar, Aneri Vajani, Riddhi Dogra, Mishkat Verma, Mukesh Chhabra and Sana Sheikh.
Vidooly Rating: 5.5/10
IDTV, an Arre Original Web Series, produced by Nakuul Mehta’s Timbuktu Films, takes you on a rollercoaster ride into the behind-the-scenes drama, power struggles and pure madness of the Indian television industry.
9. Star Boyz
Channel: Kenny Sebastian
Sponsors: OML, Kit Kat, Mirinda
Director: Mani Prasad
Cast: Kenny Sebastian, Naveen Richard, Mani Prasad, Sumukhi Suresh, Utsav Chakrabowty.
Vidooly Rating: 6/10
Star Boyz is a science fiction comedy web-series that follows the underwhelming adventures of three south Indian boys in space. Stand Up Comedian, Musician and Filmmaker, Kenny Sebastian, is one of my favourite comedians. This series proves that he never fails to deliver hilarious and relatable content.
10. Girl in the city
Sponsors: Castrol, Ebay
Director: Samar Iqbal
Cast: Mithila Palkar, Swati Vatsa, Khushbir Singh, Naveen Kaushik, Kritika Avasthi, Sushant Shetty, Ajay Trehan, Prasana Ketkar, Ashraf Farooqi, Prakash Jha.
Vidooly Rating: 6.5/10
Girl in the City, a refreshing web series with some good direction and music, is the story of 21 year old Meera Sehgal, who moves to Mumbai from Dehradun, for an internship in a fashion house to live her dream of working in the fashion industry.
Like most girls at her age, Meera is on a strict timeline; 3 months to achieve her dreams, she explores the city with her beloved scooter, MIA who helps her keep pace with the city, her work and all the excitement & adventures in her new life.
Sponsors: Be Beautiful, Lakme
Director: Akanksha Seda
Cast: Lianne Texeira, Sarah Hashmi, Nina Sharma, Natasha, Bibiani Pira, Pooja Vora.
Vidooly Rating: 7/10
Once upon a time, there was a fashion crazy girl. After 4 years in LA, she moves back to Mumbai. And her extraordinary life story unfolds.
If you think the show was trying too hard to fit in the “cool shows”, check out other videos from the channel. Blush is a good channel to subscribe to as it always delivers high-quality content.
Channel: Sony LIV
Sponsors: Idea Shop, Caprese
Director: Vishal Mull
Cast: Kushal Punjabi, Sukhmani Sadana.
Vidooly Rating: 5/10
Sony LIV is an Indian general entertainment Video on demand service that was launched in 2013 and is owned by Sony Pictures Networks India Pvt. Ltd.
And, with an urban flavor, the series #LoveBytes underlines what makes these two very different individuals click and clash. It also elucidates all those things that are necessary for an urban Indian relationship to sustain itself and the daily challenges that come in the way.
13. Not Fit
Channel: Dice Media
Director: Sudev Nair
Cast: Aakash Bhojwani, Aashima Sharma, Ashish Verma, Brahma Mishra, Danny Sura, Dhruv Sehgal, Gagandev Singh Riar, Kunal Shinde, Navjot Gulati, Raunak Bhinder, Samridhi Dewan, Sudev Nair, Sunil Prasad Yadav, Varun Kumar, Yau Ling Liu.
Vidooly Rating: 4.5/10
A mockumentary web series about the humorous adventures of Neerav Kapoor (Nero), struggling actor extraordinaire and quintessential fool, as he tries to make his mark as an actor in the entertainment industry.
The guy is really weird and socially awkward which is what makes it hilarious.
Are you a happy serioholic? If scenes involving a comfy couch, snacks and a good Web Series to binge on leaves you relaxed and rejuvenated, you are reading just the right blog this time. As the definition of entertainment keeps changing for us with the time, web series are the most ubiquitous and “In” thing nowadays. The pop culture keeps the millennials informed, entertained, busy and chilled all at the same time. Innovative and relatable content along with right direction combine to create some excellent serials that inspire, add to knowledge and spread ideas about individual lifestyles, mentality, tradition or hidden culture.
Web Series have become the perfect medium for these talented bunch of directors, writers and actors to convey their most vulnerable, rare and masterpiece concepts to the public. Many of these tried making movies on the same contents but unfortunately, there are several filters which bug out main ideas off the screen and leave them excessively modified which somewhere stops the vital parts from reaching the audience.
It is 2019, and here we have listed down 13 heartwarming Indian Web Series on YouTube that you can binge watch:
- College Romance: Launched by The Timeliners, this web series focused on young adults at colleges. It is one entertaining chain of videos which capture the candid moments of almost all of our life. College days are the most craved parts in each one of our lives now and who would not love going back to those carefree days.
This series revolves around three friends and their love interests in college where they live through various stages of relationship and friendship explained in hilarious plots. The series attracted 5 million +views across YouTube which made showed its popularity amongst the viewers.
- Nalayak: Produced by Nazar Battu Productions, this web series is the journey of two friends portrayed as “sandy” and “laddu” who are students of 11th standard in a government school of Delhi. The series shows the story which is much relatable to most of us in our school days. Sandy is the clever one in the plot while laddu is a little dumb while both are below average in academics. Their journey in friendship and differences that come in the way pictured in a lighter tone and a lot of fun scenes add to the charm. This series has a good fan following and gets 4 Million+ views on its episodes.
- Engineering girls: this is yet another masterpiece work of the The Timeliners. We have all seen movies and series being made on the life of engineering students and boys to be more specific. Therefore this stands different as it brings out the story of three girls Teja, Maggu and Sabu at engineering college. The series has five episodes, and it reveals the stories behind women hostels, halls and college incidents. This episodic has got over 6.3 Million views on its videos and has given viewers a different perspective on the matters related to engineering students and colleges.
- Stags: Yet another cool, young, sheer adult, relatable content in the form of web series was launched by The Timeliners. This series is about three guy friends who explore the roller coaster rides that life throws at them. They party and try to get hooked up with other women but end up in deeper bonds with each other. The series has 2Million views on its released videos and a good fanbase.
- Flames: The Timeliners are specialists in young adult and romantic comedy genre series. Flames is a top-rated web series that depicts the days when innocent love stories and helping crushes do their homework were achievements. It has the maximum fan following amongst the viewers due to the screenplay and wonderful unfolding of the plot. It is mostly about young love and romance which all of us have been through at some point in life. The overall series is a loved one for its relatable content and fine acting.
- Girls hostel: One of the most popular and relatable female-centric web series by Girliyapa. Girls hostel is the story of four girls who walk through the daily events in the life of an ordinary girl. Right from dealing oppressive parents to villainous mates in college they are managing it all here, and the story is tempting enough to keep you looped with it. The series reminds viewers of their days in a hostel if they have ever lived in with typical wardens who monitor literally everything that a woman does. This serial is a must watch if you are looking for something that will satisfy your irritation with unnecessary societal interference in life.
- Unmarried: This web series launched by POPxoDaily and is on the popular theme amongst the Indian audience “marriage.” This web series revolves around the life of four friends who have different ideas on getting married and settling in life. The characters in the series portray different ideologies of being in a commitment like marriage thus the narrative includes drama in form of comedy infused talks amongst the characters.
They are dealing with the usual dilemmas one faces before getting hitched. This web series is 30 minutes timed episodic hence gets more convenient to watch plus the series has some new faces to be casted as well.
- Chai sutta chronicles: this is the Jim Jarmusch inspired a story about some usual and unusual conversations between friends over a cup of tea and cigarettes. The episodic is very familiar to most Indians as casual yet deep conversations in the country usually happens over a tea and cigarettes break. The conversations between these friends is on regular chit chats like common problems, happy girlfriends and movie scenes. The exchange of dialogues is hilarious and specifically the conversations between an optimistic and a practical friend. This episodic is a casual series that will help viewers relax well. It already has a second season going on air as well which is expected to leave the audiences in more laughter and satisfaction.
- Tripling season 2: TVF’s tripling season 1 was a good hit with over 5 Million views upon its release and the second season was aired in April 2019. The leading characters in the series are Chandan, and Chitwan who have separate stories in life and set out on a completely unplanned trip. The series was launched when the web series industry faced an uncertain period and now that things are changing fast Tripling season 2 has taken up the first seat with its great screenplay and writing. This season has Chandan, a famous writer now with his book “tripling” that has made Chitwan popular whereas twisted Chanchal’s life where she has got into politics by some chance. The story unfolds ahead on a trip again where they discover other sides of life.
- Adulting: Dice media launched this web series in April 2018 which is a daily life story of two girls in their 20 something trying to live by themselves and be independent for the first time. The series revolves mostly around how the two girls popularly Ray and Nikhat, struggle with living a decent life as flatmates and being each other’s support throughout the time. It has garnered a huge fan base, and there are several memes made basing the episodes of adulating. Adulting is one entertaining episodic which many modern women can relate to and have a great time binging on when needed.
- What the folks: The regular relation young couples share with their respective in-laws have inspired a lot of Hollywood movies and series. Here the series is based on the culture prevailing amongst the orthodox yet urban elite class. The season 1 of the series showed the male lead Nikhil happened to stay with his in-laws for work purpose and the story around how they would be around him for even the simplest of needs. Season 2 has the other story where the female lead Anita handles the house along with her in-laws who have moved into their house in Alibaug. The web series shows the minute details of living married life in modern times and adjusting with in-laws. The drama serial has amazing actors who add to the charm of the drama shown in the episodes and makes it a must watch for series lovers.
- Home sweet office: This is the most recent and new web series launched by The dice media. This series revolves around a family and the little things that happen with two cousins Adhira and Shagun who work as wedding planners and are on the project which involves the marriage of one of their ex. The series has just one episode released. Thus there is a lot that is yet to come. It has amazing actors like Barkha Singh and Isha Talwar who add charm to the series.
- 2 by 3: The dice media, after its success with Little things and What the folks launched two by 3. The storyline revolves around a young couple who are having a financial crunch and decide to move in with three college going kids who lived happily in their rented house.
The episodes reveal how the couple mingles up with the college kids and the story that follows later. The season is yet to reveal a lot more ahead about the difference in the thought process of a mature young couple and three bachelors which seems striking and unique amongst almost all web series.
Go ahead and YouTube your favorite out of the list and binge on.