Riding on the Cord Cutting wave, YouTube has just come up with its latest offering – YouTube TV. Focused mainly on millennials, the service is aimed at providing its users with video content that they can watch when they want and where they want without any restrictions.
The groundwork of YouTube TV was initiated last year when YouTube RED inked a deal with CBS to make the broadcast network part of its forthcoming skinny “Unplugged” bundle of cable channels. At present, YouTube TV will include premium T.V channels like ABC, FOX, NBC, USA, CW, MSNBC, FX, DISNEY among others. (Check the image below for full list)
— Neal Mohan (@nealmohan) February 28, 2017
This means that users can now watch Emmy-winning T.V soaps like Modern family, The Batchelor, American Crime, DWTS, Quantico, Black-ish, Shark Tank, How to get away with murder, The Simpsons, Family guy, Empire, New Girl, Gotham, The last man on earth, Brooklyn 99, American dad, Scream queens, Voice, The blacklist, SNL, The tonight show with Jimmy Fallon, America got talent, This Is Us, Arrow, Legends of Tomorrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Jane the virgin, The 100, izombie, Star Wars Rebels etc., for just $35 a month!
Here are some of the features that YouTube TV offers for its audience:
- $35 bundles that let subscribers watch more than 40 TV channels, including all four major U.S. broadcast networks. So, expect the T.V soaps that we mentioned above plus hundreds of others.
- YouTube TV will support up to six different users, suitable for a small family or a close set of friends.
- Programming on the featured channels will be broadcast live.
- DVR will feature unlimited recording. So, users can save their favorite shows in the cloud and watch them later. So, whenever, wherever you are, as long as you have a data connection, you can watch that show.
- You’ll be able to record unlimited shows at the same exact time. Thus, if you subscribe to the show like you would with a YouTube channel, then the DVR just starts recording.
- It’s designed to work seamlessly on mobile, desktop, and digital TV devices. Just like all other video-on-demand online services do.
- YouTube TV comprise of ABC, FOX, CBS, NBC and, DISNEY. These big five broadcasters cover almost 70% of televised content in the USA.
- YouTube TV also features “Add on Networks,” where you can add additional channels to your subscriptions. Ex: Showtime.
- The users will also get recommendations of YouTube channels as per the content watched. So, if you finished watching Gotham Season 3, you will receive recommendations from YouTube channels that are reacting, reviewing, or discussing about the series.
- YouTube TV works on Google Chromecast or Chromecast built-in TV.
- With a YouTube TV membership, you can watch all of our YouTube Red Original series’ and movies right on the new YouTube TV app. (But, with advertisements)
You can avail the service by signing up at TV.YouTube.com. Currently, YouTube TV is competing with DIRECTV Now, Sling TV and Playstation Vue which are relatively costlier when compared with YouTube TV.
Here’s comparison of the base pricing of the online services: