Female talk show hosts featuring in Late night programs?
Not a surprise anymore because women have come a long way from where everything began and are taking over everything that was once forbidden for them.
We can barely differentiate between the roles a particular gender must play in the society these days. While men master culinary arts, women have fine tuned their talents and upgraded skills in commonly male dominated industries.
Women, over the time, have pioneered many initiatives and have taken charge of things we could barely think of a couple of decades back. Moreover, practicing a passion and building a career has got no boundaries with advanced technology these days.
Not just a supermom, adorable sister, understanding wife or the doting daughter, women are stand-up comedians, smart lawyers, dedicated administrators, fierce defence officers and more.
The TV and entertainment industry has been growing ever since the internet took over. Videos go viral within seconds and information passes at light’s speed. Amidst everything we knew, talk shows have motivated and made us aspire for the larger than life goals.
While we only knew of Johnny Carson, Stephen Colbert, Conan O’Brien as some of the popular talk show hosts, women stayed ahead too. Ricki Lake, Oprah Winfrey, Tyra Banks and many other female talk show hosts have set great benchmarks altogether.
Top 6 female talk show hosts inspiring the world
- Ellen DeGenres: She is an American stand-up comedian, TV host, writer and producer who made it large with her awarded talk show The Ellen DeGenres Show. It was in the year 1994-1998 that Ellen stared in the popular sitcom Ellen. It was her appearance on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson that her career, got the necessary push and reached the top spot. She was then the first female to be invited by an iconic TV host for discussion. This event marked the beginning of an era where women were encouraged towards comedy and talk shows. Ellen DeGenres was awarded for her amazing work as Dory, a little funny blue fish in the movie Finding Nemo. Her titled TV show garnered much respect and love from day time viewers while she continued to prank and entertain her guests. The Ellen DeGenres talk show is indeed the most popular show today with the People’s Choice Award. Ellen came out as a gay and is an active supporter of the LGBTQ community.
- Oprah Gail Winfrey: Who hasn’t heard of the “Queen of all media”? She has inspired people with her trailblazing decisions and trend setting content. Her life was a struggle initially before she came up with the world famous highest rated program of its kind; The Oprah Winfrey Show. The multi award winning and impactful show hosted by Oprah chaired some fine men and women around the world. The show was Oprah’s stage that was used to impart knowledge, feature book clubs, hold self-improvement chapters and influential interviews. She was rated as the richest African-American of the 20th century and is the greatest black philanthropist in the history of America. According to few statistics and data, Oprah is regarded as the most influential woman in world. She inspires women all around the world with her quick wisdom, intelligence, courage and hard work thus, is best known as the epitome of a woman.
- Joan Rivers: Women and late night talk shows started syncing together only after Rivers joined the relatively new fox network in 1986. She started the rebellion with “The Late Show Starring Joan Rivers” thus, entering the male-dominated late night show space. She was initially a frequent guest host for Johnny Carson and was expected to be the next host of “The Tonight Show” after Carson’s retirement. The woman broke the glass ceiling and ensured to create the firm base for women in the industry. She bagged an Emmy for outstanding performance as one of the best female talk show hosts those days. Rivers has had her share of struggles & controversies and yet managed to put up a great show with witty jokes and creative comedy content. Many aspiring radio and TV artists still take references and help from the work that she showed the world.
- Wendy William: The “Shock Jockette” of New York, Wendy Joan Williams is an American Television and radio presenter. She hosted the nationally syndicated talk show The Wendy Williams Show which inspired reality TV series The Wendy Williams Experience on VH1. She is also a writer and producer who has penned many brilliant books and series. Wendy gained more popularity for her on-air spats with celebrities and discussions over the “hot topics”. The talk show primarily competes with the Ellen DeGenres Show in the segment of female talk show hosts. Wendy shares her opinion over tabloid headlines and celebrity news on the show which got much praise and applause from its viewers. Wendy William has set an example for women around the globe with her talent and courage to pursue a passion.
- Samantha Bee: Canadian-American comedian, writer, producer, political commentator rose to fame as a regular correspondent on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart. She started her own Late night talk show Full Frontal with Samantha Bee in 2016. The news satire program is a popular episodic managed by female talk show hosts. Bee has hosted some entertaining, impactful and encouraging episodes with celebrities and reality stars. She is known for her abilities to focus spotlight upon matters that are critically challenged and difficult to report. Her talk show now aims at the 2020 elections as the steam gets hotter everywhere. Bee is totally inspiring and her personality reflects upon the journey that she traversed to reach the dice she is at today.
- Lily Singh: Popularly known by her social media name ||SUPERWOMAN||, Lily Saini Singh is a Canadian rapper, YouTuber, comedian and artist. She is the latest talk of town with her incredible social media presence and brilliant take over various topics. Lily is the first person of Indian descent who is hosting an American broadcast major network late-night talk show. Singh is also the first female talk show hosts with her A Little Late with Lily Singh from the current generation to identify as bisexual. Her late night show was promoted on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon which added to the buzz around the show. With millions of subscribers and followers on social media channels, Singh keeps her audience engaged with amazing posts. ||SUPERWOMAN||’s “if Bollywood songs were rap” empowers women and sends out positive messages on real issues. Her presence in a video content creator event got the audience more excited than the presence of Shahrukh Khan himself. Such instances prove her power to influence crowd and change minds with just her content and presentations.
These female talk show hosts have proved that nothing is impossible and despite struggles and adversities, one can rise to the fame and get bigger things done. The male dominated atmosphere can never be that big of a hurdle for someone if they have set their minds to it.
So all the wonderful women reading this post, wait no more, Dream, Do, Change, Achieve and boast it to the world. Follow your ideas and instincts, do jobs that they told you not to do and make sure they know it.