2016 was a great year for Indian movie trailers on YouTube. First, kabali made the noise of being the fastest movie trailer in India to get millions of viewership in first 24 hours, before Shahrukh’s Raees broke the record in the same year. Teasing fans with trailers and teasers of Indian movies has become an integral part of Internet users’ online experience in India, and no platform hosts more videos than YouTube. The site boasts more than 3 billion video views per day, making it an excellent place for producers to promote their film to hardcore movie fans.
Two or three years ago, Production studios used to promote their movies on T.V shows by collaborating with them, and by announcing their new trailer. You can see Amir Khan (among countless other movies) promoting his movie TALASH in TV soap CID. Even now, you can see heavy promotions in soaps like Comedy Nights With Kapil, where almost every episode is a promotional event.
FYI – Comedy Nights With Kapil as its YouTube channel has generated a minimum of 71 million + of viewership on its channel till now.
But after the advent of YouTube, the movie marketing campaigns have diverged from traditional form of advertising to a much better sophisticated digital campaigns, advertising, and planning.
Let’s check out the marketing timeline of Baahubali: The Beginning, which is considered to be the Deadpool of India in terms of its planned marketing on digital platforms like YouTube.
The marketing of Baahubali: The Beginning was done in two years, right when the production started in 2013. Learning from the patterns of video uploads on the YouTube channel of Baahubali with 186,828 subscribers, we divided the whole campaign into eight stages, that introduced a specific unique selling point of this 120 crore movie. All these eight stages focused on their YouTube marketing strategy only. The events that were not related to their video marketing strategy such as on ground activities are not covered.
The actors and actresses in south Indian movies have a larger than life fan following and celebrating their birthdays are common even in Bollywood. But, when everything is planned for a specific product, then it creates a different brand persona.
The first three videos were related to the birthday celebration. In three months, the YouTube channel released three videos of celebration branding it with a title, “Making of Baahubali.”
- Making of Baahubali – Happy Birthday Prabhas – Oct 23, 2013
- Making of Baahubali – Happy Birthday Anushka – Nov 6, 2013
- Making of Baahubali – Happy Birthday Rana Daggubati – Dec 13, 2013
Show how talented your team is
The team is all about how good is your teammates.
The producers of Baahubali hired one of the best talents of Indian film industry. And when you do such an amazing job in gathering people who are masters in their fields, you have to show who they are. Also, this adds the quality in the behind the scenes footage.
Thus, their next four videos were about showcasing what are the artists who are responsible for the upcoming behind the scenes.
- Baahubali PRO-Files: Sabu Cyril – Jan 27, 2014
- Baahubali @SETera – How to climb an elephant? – Feb 5, 2014
- Baahubali @SETera – All the best for the Exams – Mar 17, 2014
- Baahubali @SETera – Peter – The Bold – Jun 16, 2014
Behind The Scenes
Making-of or behind-the-scenes are mainly used in the promotional tool, either concurrent with a theatrical release or as a bonus feature for the film’s DVD. This process is very important as it offers more insight into the film, how it was made, and to credit the film crew.
It’s a pure fan service, and you can see this in almost every MARVEL and DC feature films every time.
- Making of Baahubali – A Glimpse Into Our One Year Journey – Jul 6, 2014
- Making of Baahubali – Featuring DOP K K Senthil Kumar – Jul 31, 2014
- Prabhas Birthday Special Interview about Baahubali – Oct 24, 2014
- Fan Frenzy on the sets of Baahubali | November 2014 – Nov 16, 2014
- Baahubali Skit – Prabhas, Rana, Anushka, Tamannaah – Memu Saitam – Dec 1, 2014
- Baahubali Making – Visualizing the world of Baahubali – Dec 21, 2014
In the case of Baahubali, these behind-the-scenes gave a glimpse –> introduced director of Photography –> showcased fan interaction –> script rehearsal –> and then followed by presenting a whole visualization of the world of Baahubali.
After this, the teaser and a trailer are released with a one-day break in between them.
- Baahubali – The Beginning Teaser – Prabhas, Rana Daggubati — May 30, 2015
- Baahubali – The Beginning | Official Trailer – Jun 1, 2015
Result – The trailer of its Telugu version, which was released on YouTube by the “Baahubali” team, has got 1.3 million views, which is the biggest record in the history of Telugu cinema.
Introduce The Characters
Now that Baahubali: The Beginning made its mark, it was time to introduce the characters so that audience can get more familiarized with upcoming songs, teasers, and trailers. It’s important for a movie production touching 120 crores and having an epic-fantasy like story structure with numerous lead characters.
(If you notice, all the successful epic – fantasy movies in Hollywood; all have a book written before the movie production starts coincidentally. Consider Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Troy, Ben-Hur, Gladiator, Mahabharata…. every epic is released when people know enough about the characters – And this is what the producers of Baahubali did at that time)
- Nasser as BIJJALADEVA | Baahubali – The Beginning – Jun 15, 2015
- Sathyaraj as KATTAPPA | Baahubali – The Beginning – Jun 15, 2015
- Ramya Krishna as SIVAGAMI | Baahubali – The Beginning – Jun 15, 2015
In one day, they launched three videos describing three integral characters in the movie, just 15 days after their main trailer.
It is one of the most awaited events related to a feature film in the south Indian film industry. Fans gather in thousands just to get the first glimpse of the music and probably get an early bird cassette.
Before launching their full catalog, they introduced a “single” from that particular album. Check out the YouTube history.
- Mamathala Thalli | Official Video Song | Baahubali – The Beginning – Jun 19, 2015
- Baahubali – The Beginning | Telugu Audio Launch – Jun 23, 2015
As you all know, Teaser’s main purpose is to just tease the audience. They’re usually around a minute and it rarely has a narrative. 25 days before the initial release, this is exactly what the producers of Baahubali – The Beginning did. They converted the teasers into a couple of dialogue trailers to before launching their 4K trailer on YouTube’s platform.
- Nippule Swasaga | Baahubali – The Beginning – Jun 25, 2015
- Baahubali – The Beginning | Dialogue Trailer – Jun 28, 2015
- Baahubali – The Beginning | Dialogue Trailer – Jul 3, 2015
- The Characters of Baahubali Brought to Life – Jul 4, 2015
- Baahubali Trailer 2 Soundtrack – Jul 5, 2015
- Baahubali – The Beginning Release Trailer [4K] Jul 6, 2015
Trailers are more elaborate with a narration and provide a crisp synopsis of the movie. Baahubali dropped 9 teasers and trailers in the span of two days to 10 seconds. 15 seconds, 20 seconds and a 30-second teaser and trailers. Check out the sequence on their YouTube channel.
- Baahubali – The Beginning 10 sec Trailer 1 – Jul 8, 2015
- Baahubali – The Beginning 10 sec Trailer 2 – Jul 9, 2015
- Baahubali – The Beginning 10 sec Trailer 3 – Jul 9, 2015
- Baahubali – The Beginning 10 sec Trailer 4 – Jul 9, 2015
- Baahubali – The Beginning 15 sec Trailer 1 – Jul 9, 2015
- Baahubali – The Beginning 15 sec Trailer 2 – Jul 9, 2015
- Baahubali – The Beginning 15 sec Trailer 3 – Jul 9, 2015
- Baahubali – The Beginning 20 sec Trailer – Jul 9, 2015
- Baahubali – The Beginning 30 sec Trailer – Jul 9, 2015
On July 10th, Baahubali – The Beginning was released and it went on to create a box office record after their two continuous efforts of marketing their movie on YouTube.
Pre DVD launch engagement
Production houses focus on the DVD launch of every movie. Check out HONEST TRAILERS, where most of their new videos fall accordingly with the BLUE-RAY release of the mentioned movie.
Significance of DVD sales –
For a Hollywood movie, the movie is essentially the “trailer” for the DVD aftermarket, which is over 2x the box office by revenue. Plus, Hollywood movies monetize via TV/cable rights, merchandising deals, sponsorship tie-ins (e.g.: Star Wars and Transformers), and so forth, far better than Bollywood.
According to reports, blockbuster movies like Titanic earned $1.2 billion from video and DVD sales and rentals, and Avatar earned $345 million from the sale of 16 million DVD and Blu-ray units in North America alone. Whereas Finding Nemo is the best-selling DVD of all time with over a 41 million copies sold worldwide.
For Bollywood movies, between 90-95% of total dollars, a film generates are box office dollars. And this is what Indian movie producers and actors are changing. Sources suggest Aamir Khan is the only actor to have bagged the highest profit sharing deal with Yash Raj for ‘Dhoom: 3’, which was approximately 40 %.
As far as satellite rights are concerned, the costliest deal for a film was for ‘Dhoom: 3’ by Sony — around ₹ 65 crore.
For Baahubali – The Beginning being one of the most profitable and costliest movies ever to be produced, the DVD release should be a grand feast. So, they released a couple of trailers from there to introduce their DVD release with a 50 Days Trailer culminating the event.
- Baahubali – The Beginning Trailer 1 – Jul 22, 2015
- Baahubali – The Beginning Trailer 2 – Jul 24, 2015
- Dheevara | Baahubali – The Beginning – Video Song – Jul 27, 2015
- Baahubali – The Beginning Trailer – Aug 1, 2015
- The Characters of Baahubali Brought to Life – Rana Daggubati as Bhallaladeva – Aug 3, 2015
- Baahubali – The Beginning | 50 Days Trailer – Aug 27, 2015
- Baahubali – The Beginning is also available on YouTube pay per watch for ₹ 250.
The movie marketing ideology on YouTube paid well for Baahubali – The Beginning since it has a continuation chapter concluding the whole story. But, the same style of promoting movie trailers has been adapted by many Bollywood movie distribution agencies.
Here is a detailed timeline of another Christmas blockbuster movie called “Dangal 2016.”
Dangal | Official Trailer – Oct 19, 2016
Haanikaarak Bapu – Dangal – Nov 11, 2016
Happy Children’s Day – Nov 14, 2016
Lyrical & Unplugged
Haanikaarak Bapu – Unplugged – Nov 16, 2016
Haanikaarak Bapu – Lyrical – Nov 16, 2016
Release trailers in other most popular languages – Part 1
Dangal | Official Telugu Dub Trailer – Nov 20, 2016
Dangal | Official Tamil Dub Trailer – Nov 20, 2016
Dhaakad – Dangal – Nov 22, 2016
Fat To Fit | Aamir Khan Body Transformation – Nov 28, 2016
Release songs in other most popular languages – Part 2
డిసిప్లిన్ (Discipline – Telugu) | Dangal – Nov 28, 2016
జాగరత (Jaagartha – Telugu) | Dangal – Nov 28, 2016
டிசிப்லின் (DISCIPLINE – Tamil) | Dangal – Nov 28, 2016
ஜாக்கிறதை (Jaakiradhai – Tamil) | Dangal – Nov 28, 2016
Gilehriyaan – Dangal – Nov 29, 2016
Introduce “Title” song
Dangal – Title Track – lyrical – Dec 7, 2016
Dangal – Title Track – video – Dec 8, 2016
Audio release – Full Album available on YouTube
Dangal – Full Album – Dec 13, 2016
Aamir Khan film Dangal crosses the 100-crore mark box-office collection on the first weekend.
This trend of introducing “teasers –> trailers –> behind the scenes –> trailer 2 –> DVD launch campaign” chain is an age-old path opted by every wide release of a Hollywood movie. Do let us know what you think of this ongoing trend adapted from large budget Indian movies on YouTube’s platform. Also, check out our comprehensive analysis on the list of most viewed Indian movie trailers on YouTube India.