The First Presidential debate 2016 kicked off yesterday between two most disliked presidential nominees in the history of America. C-SPAN, ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, Fox News, MSNBC, PBS, Univision, and CNBC were the major news channels who broadcasted live on T.V. According to Nielsen, about 84 million people watched the first presidential debate live on T.V. If you are having problem in calculating the magnosity of this debate, then here are some facts recorded for previous presidential debates,
- The historic 1980 debate between Jimmy Carter and Ronald Reagan-generated 45.8 million views.
- The 45.8 million views record was unbeaten for 32 years.
- The initial debate of 2012 broke the 32-year record by generating 46.2 million views
- Yesterday’s debate between Trump VS Hillary generated a massive 84 million views
The First Presidential debate 2016 also marked the beginning of Live Streaming the presidential debates for the first time in U.S election history. The debate was livestreamed on Facebook, twitter, and YouTube with multiple channels broadcasting the Livestream. According to YouTube, the overall first presidential debate’s YouTube footfall generated for debate-related video exceeded 88 million views on Monday.
But, the moderating YouTube channels who were broadcasting yesterday’s live debate on YouTube, were the official YouTube channels of the following news Channels.
Major media Outlets from YouTube
- Subscribers – 176,472
- Total Viewership – 68,781,084
- Viewership for the Debate Livestream – 8,455,728
- Dislikes – 16.32 K
- FB shares – 34.81 K
Fox News Channel
- Subscribers – 345,651
- Total Viewership – 218,727,080
- Viewership for the Debate Livestream – 803,930
- Dislikes – disabled for this video.
- FB shares – 3.59 K
- Subscribers – 277,162
- Total Viewership – 154,090,085
- Viewership for the Debate Livestream – 1,776,127
- Dislikes – 517
- FB shares – 8.22 K
- Subscribers – 67,186
- Total Viewership – 41,320,302
- Viewership for the Debate Livestream – 1,690,960
- Dislikes – 2.48 K
- FB shares – 9.22 K
The New York Times
- Subscribers – 735,141
- Total Viewership – 299,714,404
- Viewership for the Debate Livestream – 76,603
- Dislikes – 40
- FB shares – 794
Univision Noticias (Spanish)
- Subscribers – 906,174
- Total Viewership – 694,794,124
- Viewership for the Debate Livestream – 411,499
- Dislikes -348
- FB shares – 2.83 K
Highest viewed channel for Debate– NBC News
How to watch in debate in VR
AltspaceVR is partnering with NBC T.V to bring viewers a number of election-themed virtual reality events leading up to and during the presidential debates. This AltspaceVR app is for only VR users with Oculus Rift, HTC Vive or Samsung Gear VR gears. They created a “Virtual Democracy Plaza” to recreate the real Democracy Plaza at the Rockefeller Center in New York City.
Next Presidential debate moderators
Second Debate –
Moderator: Martha Raddatz, Chief Global Affairs Correspondent and Co-Anchor of “This Week,” ABC
Moderator: Anderson Cooper, Anchor, CNN
Location: Washington University in St. Louis, St. Louis, MO
Third Debate –
Moderator: Chris Wallace, Anchor, Fox News Sunday
Location: University of Nevada, Las Vegas, Las Vegas, NV
To know more about the live stream, CLICK HERE.
Being an artist, movie buff and a media enthusiast, content writing is my career train. I am a proud alumni of Symbiosis Institute of Media Communication (Pune) and currently working for Vidooly.