For advertisers and marketers, FIFA World Cup – Russia 2018 is like having the Super Bowl every day for an entire month as it is worlds most watched sporting events, comparable only to Olympics regarding global audience.
Since 32 countries are running in the race to win the world cup; one can imagine the amount of viewership FIFA World Cup – Russia 2018 is going to generate. Even the countries that are not qualified like U.S.A, Italy, China, Scotland, Wales, and India, are going to watch FIFA world cup.
TRIVIA: Russia has spent 88 thousand crores on the arrangement
To compare the viewership of Indian Premier League – which is the biggest sporting event in India right now; generated outdoor television viewership of 19.4 million impressions in first eight matches. For FIFA world cup 2018, India generated 47 million views on Sony Liv and out of which women contributed 45% of the viewership for the opening match alone.
Sony Pictures Networks senior VP of marketing and OAP of sports, Kedar Teny was quoted as saying by Indian television, “When we looked at data, we saw that there is a football audience and there is FIFA audience, wherein the FIFA audience is far greater than the football audience. People follow FIFA since we don’t have our own country’s participation and it was a challenge to drive communication around it.”
Brands that dropped out of FIFA World Cup – Russia 2018.
For brazil’s 2014 FIFA World Cup, brands like AmBev, Coca-Cola, Banco Itau, Johnson & Johnson, Hyundai, Nestle, Apple booked their T.V ad spots at $75 million/sponsor. But for 2018 FIFA World Cup, only top two tiers (sponsorship) got filled, while the third tier (regional partnerships) still has openings that are likely to remain unsold.
Brand identity Matters
In the world of advertising, one misstep can backfire the whole campaign that can take years to recover. This is why many brands stopped advertising with scandalous actors and athletes after the #METOO moment.
The best example for this is Visa’s recent campaign where they decided to re-record some of its World Cup advertisements that featured voiceovers by Morgan Freeman, who was recently accused by several women of inappropriate behavior.
TRIVIA: FIFA World Cup 2018 Costs More Than The GDP of 99 Countries
With the recent corruption scandals in FIFA and Russia’s involvement in Syria, brands like Emirates, Continental, Johnson & Johnson, and Castrol decided not to renew their contracts in 2014-15.
But that void got filled by the brands who are looking for an opportunity to gain the attention of more than 1 billion football fans. Brands like QATAR AIRWAYS, ADIDAS, NIKE, and GATORADE took this opportunity to create advertisements that generated millions of views and were successful in creating viral content.
So, here is the official list of current FIFA 2018 Partners: Adidas, Coca-Cola, Wanda Group, Gazprom, Hyundai, Qatar Airways, Visa.
Top 3 FIFA World Cup – Russia 2018 Ad campaign activations:
- In a bid to drive data collection drive and capitalize on website traffic, LIDL, the official supermarket of the England soccer team created a content hub for website visitors, where fans can discover the background stories of their football idols and also win signed England T-shirt.
- HEINEKEN created a campaign that includes ‘visit’ and ‘vote’ call-to-action buttons to inspire visitors to discover more information surrounding their favorite bar, including its address, website link, and live soccer schedule.
- To capture the buzz of celebration in FIFA World Cup – Russia 2018, BUDWEISER distributed millions of audio-activated red light cups. Each time the cup senses a loud cheer or applause, for a goal or red card, the cup will light up bright red, celebrating that ecstatic moment.
Talking about the virality of brand ads on YouTube’s platform, the following are the most viewed advertisements sorted by their viewership.
1. NIKE FUTEBOL APRESENTA: VAI NA BRASILEIRAGEM
2. GATORADE | HEART OF A LIO
3. MADE DEFIANT: THE MIXTAPE FT. NEYMAR JR., KANE, ÖZIL AND MENDY | BEATS BY DRE
4. BUDWEISER FIFA WORLD CUP 2018
5. LIGHT UP THE WORLD – BUDWEISER (OFFICIAL SPONSOR OF THE 2018 FIFA WORLD CUP™)
6. HYUNDAI X 2018 FIFA WORLD CUP™
7. 2018 FIFA WORLD CUP DRONE FILM – BUDWEISER
8. “DANCING IN THE STREET” BY NICOLE SCHERZINGER – QATAR AIRWAYS AND FIFA WORLD CUP 2018 RUSSIA™
9. CREATE THE ANSWER – ADIDAS
10. THIS SUMMER | 2018 FIFA MEN’S WORLD CUP ON FOX & FS1
11. SAMAN MEÐ COCA-COLA
12. NIKE FOOTBALL PRESENTS – THE SWITCH A SPARK BRILLIANCE PRODUCTION
Being an artist, movie buff and a media enthusiast, content writing is my career train. I am a proud alumni of Symbiosis Institute of Media Communication (Pune) and currently working for Vidooly.