In 2006, Twitter co-founder Jack Dorsey began an SMS -based messaging platform, initially known as “‘twttr.” The idea later evolved with Dorsey’s co-founder, Evan Williams. Today, Twitter is one of the most popular social media platforms.
Social networks like Twitter, Facebook, Instagram have seen fierce competition among themselves owing to rising competition to rule the Internet. It’s almost the end of 2019, and at the start of every year, we need a quick brush-up of how statistics of social media networks have changed in a year.
Here are some of the exciting Twitter facts and statistics that matter the most to users in 2019
- As of Q1 2019, Twitter has over 330 million monthly active users (MAU) worldwide as compared to 321 million in Q4 2018 and 326 million for Q3 2018. Interestingly, every month, roughly 500 million people access Twitter without logging in.
- In the United States, Q1 2019 data represents 68 million MAU as compared to 66 million in Q3 2018 (a boost of 2 million). According to Twitter, in Q2 2019, the most relevant tweets were shown to users by applying deep learning models, and the timeline was further refined to show a broader set of tweets from a user’s network.
- In Q3 2019, the average monetizable daily active users (mDAUs) grew to 145 million, a jump of 17% year-over-year. Monetizable daily active users were introduced by Twitter in Q4 2018 report, and the term refers to “users who log in and access Twitter on any given day through twitter.com or our Twitter applications that are able to show ads.”
- Twitter’s Q3 2019 report recorded revenue growth of 9% year-over-year, recording a revenue of $824 million, which was $758 million in the same period last year.
- A majority of the revenue growth is driven by Twitter’s strength in the US. Total US revenue was $465 million, with an increase of 10%.
- Japan remained the second largest market of Twitter, contributing $129 million, which is 16% of the total revenue in Q3 2019.
- Due to no significant changes in the investment and lower than expected revenue, operating income was $44 million (5% of the revenue) in Q3 2019 compared to $92 in the same period last year.
- The total recorded advertising revenue of Twitter in Q3 2019 was $702 million.
- At the end of Q3 2019, Twitter had more than 4600 employees.
- With improved clickthrough rates among ad formats and increased ad impressions owing to audience growth, total ad engagements increased by 23%.
- More than 50% of the tweets serving inappropriate content were removed from the platform without the help of any first-person report or bystander.
- Alexa website ranking ranks Twitter at number 36 in the world.
- Episodes 3 and 6 of the final season of Game of Thrones were the most discussed episodes around #GoT.
- Conversations using the phrases “self-care” and “well-being” grew by 225% while conversations around “fitness trackers” dropped by 82%.
- Twitter users are focusing less on pharmaceutical solutions and moving towards physical, mental, and spiritual well-being.
- #SelfCareSunday usage has grown by 365%, and Goodwill hashtags such as “#MondayMotivation” and “JoyTrain” have seen a growth of 582%.
- People on Twitter are exploring the wonders of the natural world by sharing hurricane videos, nature photography, swimming and more. Usage of #ExploreMore has increased by 96%. People are also showing interest in what’s beyond the earth, space traveling, sci-fi and more. Mention of astrophysics and astrobiology in tweets have increased by 102%.
- Twitter users are focusing on the broader perspectives of their identity and bravely facing issues of diversity and gender. The word “Identity” in tweets has increased by 167%.
- The top 5 most used hashtags in India till June were
- Former U.S President Barack Obama’s Twitter account @BarackObama is the most followed account with 110M followers. Narendra Modi’s twitter account @narendramodi is the most followed account in India (51.6M followers).
- Twitter has a more mature audience than Instagram and Snapchat, with approximately 63% worldwide users between the ages of 35-65.
- Twitter seems to be more popular among males, and 66% of the users are male. In the United States, 56% are males.
- In a Twitter campaign, women users interact more with brands than men do
- The average lifespan of a tweet is merely 15-20 minutes, while the average time spent per Twitter session is 3.37 minutes.
- 22% of US adults use Twitter while the top 10% of the adult tweeters tweet 80% of the tweets.
- Twitter is the most preferred news-focused social site in the United States and is the platform of political discussions.
- 60% of the Twitter users in the U.S skew towards the Democrats.
- Every day, 500 million tweets are sent, and on average, a user follows at most five brands.
- The “Face with tears of joy” emoji has been used more than 2 billion times on Twitter.
- 40% of Twitter users made a purchase after seeing a tweet from Influencer.
- 80% of the Twitter traffic comes via mobile devices, and 93% of the videos are viewed on mobile devices.
- Japanese billionaire Yusaku Maezawa tweet is the most retweeted tweet to date in 2019.
- 80% of Twitter shoppers are “affluent millennials.”
- Videos on Twitter are 3x more likely to retweeted than tweets with GIFs and 6x than tweets with photos. In just 12 months, Twitter has seen a video growth of 220x.
- In 2019, Twitter launched author-moderated replies in the US, Japan, and Canada that gave people more control over their conversations.
- Twitter has announced a partnership with NBC Olympics for the 2020 Tokyo Games to create daily original studio programs from Tokyo, daily polls, and short-form video highlights.
We believe that these Twitter facts and statistics will let you increase your knowledge base and will come handy at times of decision making. If you feel we missed out some stats, then do add them in the comments section below.
Interesting Facebook Facts and Statistics in 2019 that you need to know
9 Statistics that every YouTube channel owner should keep a track of
How brands can easily analyze the YouTube stats of any video creator
12 Interesting facts about Smosh Most People Don’t Know
CRAZY unknown facts about iiSUPERWOMANii!
10 Interesting YouTube Facts & Stats To Share
Vishal is a tech writer for Vidooly and a fan of everything related to Android. He loves exploring the nexus between tech, culture, space, and politics. He lies awake at night pondering over the myriad facets of life while also having an adventurous side to him. In his spare time, he enjoys watching sci-fi and drama series, reading psychology/politics fiction and playing brain games.