Most social media platforms have their built-in analytics and insights to gather information related to the effective performance of the brand channels. There are several others that use third-party tools like google analytics to track the same details.
Previously we have discussed several social media tools and techniques that assist marketers in improvising their brand image online. These tools have several functions and features that make social media marketing simpler as well as better.
Along with many other referral sources to build a brand online, there are software/program/algorithms, etc. which strengthen overall digital advertising & marketing.
When marketers launch a certain campaign they tend to extract information related to what worked and what failed using basic applications. Often the key points are missed out which can be covered with progressive modern tech systems.
Brands use analytics to read audience conditions on social media platforms that can be tracked in detail with special featured applications for improved performances. In this blog we will discuss the usability of such tracking solutions.
What are UTM parameters?
Knowing the consumer demand, interest of audience, sources of traffic on social media requires advanced setup to track the routes and that is where the “UTM parameters” take the spotlight.
UTM parameters expanded into Urchin Tracking Module parameters are much basic then they sound. These are short text codes that when attached to the URLs of pages/blogs/social media channels provide complete tracking of the visitor’s activity on it.
UTM parameters help brands and marketers in many ways but we listed a few primary functions here. They are as following:
- Detailed performance tracking of social media campaigns and programs
- Check on what works better in the classic A/B testing method in digital marketing
- Watch out for the main traffic generating sources
- Provide information regarding what causes a conversion
UTM parameters stick to URLs wherever shared which can also be picked as a copy-pasted link that may amount to misleading reports on traffic. Sometimes the concept may bring in addition to the dark social traffic but in total these codes serve a greater purpose than just the cons.
To explain these codes in a much non-technical tone, UTM parameters are tags or predefined text codes that can be added to an URL or link. When an URL attached to the UTM parameter is clicked by a user, these tags get transferred to the brand’s google analytics for enhanced tracking.
It does not require any specific technical skill or professional programmer to use the UTM parameters across social media and websites.
UTM parameters are codes that begin after the question mark (?) in the link with specific campaign information in a systematic manner. There are five categories of parameters that must be present in the UTM linked URLs. Three of these are basic needed parameters whereas the last two can be used in paid campaign tracking.
Segments of UTM parameters
It refers to the network source, social media platforms, search engine, a mailer that will drive traffic for the link.
Example: utm_source=twitter, utm_source=Vidooly
This means it will track the type of channel or campaign platform features that will run the traffic to link such as paid ads, organic social, CPC, etc.
Example: utm_medium=post-original, utm_medium=organic
It is subjective and depends on the name of the campaign or program to specify the link objective such as summer sale, Christmas offer, black Friday sale, any punchline, or promotion text.
Example: utm_campaign=Diwali-at-vidooly, utm_campaign_vidooly-cricket-championship
The code reads paid keywords, hashtags, tags, and key phrases.
Example: utm_term=chandratal-trek utm_term=French-press-coffee
It decodes all ad content within the launched campaign.
Example: utm_content=video-ads, utm_content=carousel
These UTM parameters can be added after the main link or URL of the brand’s website, social media platforms, etc. ending with a question mark and separated with an ampersand (&).
How to use UTM parameters to track social media campaigns
#1 Enter Google analytics
To access the benefits of UTM parameters sign up into google analytics network or enter your existing account on it. Google Analytics provides a free version for usage up to certain limits that one can use initially if they are new to the system or haven’t tried earlier.
- Add the owned website to the analytics account as property
- Select industry category and reporting time zone to generate id by clicking on get tracking id
- Copy the code
- Paste the global site tag on the website link after the <head> tag ion Html.
- Insert the tracking id in the code
#2 Add UTM parameters to generate a link
Google Analytics URL builder tool can be used to generate the URL linked with the UTM parameter to be shared on social media sites.
- Go to Google Analytics Campaign URL Builder
- Paste the URL of the website related and fill the ground for parameters as per requirement.
- Find the automatically generated URL in the bottom of the page
- Click on Copy URL or Convert URL to short link the option to get a shortened link. Users can also use a third-party URL shortener for the same purpose.
- This link can now be posted on social media channels for the campaign.
#3 Tracking campaign
The campaign once launched can be tracked for essential details related to traffic generation using google analytics.
- Go to Reports tab on the left side of the home page
- Select Acquisitions followed by Campaigns tab to get details
- A table with all the launched campaigns can be seen here with their URLs besides traffic and conversion numeric data.
#4 Data analysis
It is the most important point of this whole blog. This step emphasizes the usage of the data gained out of the process. As now brands have the data and key information, they must use it in spreadsheets or other forms for better analysis and comparison.
Here one can understand what performed well and which one failed to impress the audience. It will also give you the idea that the social media campaigns for the marketing of a particular brand must depend on what audiences are looking for in it.
- Transfer data from Google Analytics by clicking on the Export tab from the top menu to download UTM parameters tracked data in the form of google sheets, documents, PDF, etc.
- Do import the records into the social media analysis report.
UTM parameters are easy to build, use, and leverage with simple steps that we have explained here in detail. It’s time to explore the social media space with this tracking element online.
Most Important Twitter Video Metrics You Should Be Tracking Today
9 Statistics that every YouTube channel owner should keep a track of
6 Useful hacks to keep a track of your YouTube audience with Vidooly
Why You should track your competitor’s YouTube Channel