Last Christmas, my dad told me about this travel package ad he found online that followed him around the internet. “I saw this ad three to five times on Facebook yesterday, so I thought this is the best deal on the internet right now,” he said, after buying the deal for which he got pretty excited.
When he told me about all his decision factors that made him click the CTA button of that “Make My Trip” advertisement on his Facebook timeline, I was not surprised to see a travel company using remarketing techniques on such diverse demographic to target their “Golden Temple” package.
This is the power of Facebook Remarketing. And to track conversations these like these, you need Facebook Pixel.
In this blog, we are going to answer seven important questions related to Facebook Pixel and will provide a step by step guide to setup your Facebook Pixel for your business page.
- What is Facebook Pixel?
- Advantages of pixel
- Creating a Facebook Pixel.
- How to add a pixel to your website?
- Set up Pixel & Install events.
- Can I create a pixel in Business Manager?
- Give access to partner or agency
- How to confirm your pixel’s working correctly?
1. What is Facebook Pixel?
Facebook Pixels is a custom algorithm for retargeting website visitors to track website conversions such as sales. Each pixel is customized as per the website. So, we can have as many Facebook Pixels as we want depending on our websites.
This whole process will make your advertising on Facebook much more effective. Remember, if you are having one website to track using this feature then its Pixel, and if there are number of websites, then it is termed as Facebook pixels. It’s because, in Feb15, 2017, Facebook merged custom audience pixel into one conversion tracker.
FYI: To use Facebook pixel, you need to have your own business website and must be able to update your website code.
2. Advantages of Facebook pixel
- Shows you how successful your Facebook advertising campaigns actually are and helps you reach new, relevant audiences.
- You can genuinely measure your ads’ performance because the pixel can track every visitors’ interactions on your website after they click on your ad just like you get in Google Analytics.
- Facebook pixel will trigger the clicks through to your website from an ad and report it on your pixel
- It will measure your ad’s conversion rate, not just its click-through rate.
- Facebook pixel helps you bid individually for conversions on Facebook.
- Facebook will only show your ads to users who are most likely to convert or buy something from your website.
- You can set up remarketing campaigns and choose your audience just like the remarketing campaigns in google analytics.
- After a minimum of 100 conversations, you can create a lookalike audience and run your advertisement on them.
Core functions of Facebook Pixel?
As per Facebook’s website, here are manager core functions where you can utilize Facebook Pixel for your brand’s benefit.
- View content on conversion on your website
- Check the Search bar analysis of your site.
- Track actions related to “Add to cart” buttons.
- Add to wishlist: Someone adds a product to a wishlist on your site.
- Track anyone who starts the checkout process to buy something from your site.
- Add payment info: Someone enters their payment information in the purchase process on your website.
- If someone completes a purchase on your website, you can track using Pixel.
- Complete registration: Someone completes a registration form on your site, such as for a subscription product.
3. Creating a Facebook Pixel.
- Go to your Pixels tab in Events Manager.
- Click Create a Pixel.
- Click Create in the box that appears and name it as per your requirements.
4. How to add a pixel to your website?
After creating your Facebook pixel, you will get a “code” to embed on your website. Here, you will have two options to choose from.
Option 1: Ask a professional to update the code to your website
- Go to the Pixels tab in Ads Manager.
- CLICK –> Set Up Pixel
- CLICK –> Email Instructions to a Developer.
Enter the recipient’s email address and click send.
Option 2: Update the code yourself
- Go to your website’s code and find the header of your website.
- Copy the entire code and paste it in the header of your website
- Paste the code at the bottom of the header section, just above the closing head tag.
After uploading the code, CLICK –> Send Test Trafic after placing the code on your website.
If your status says active, then the code is installed correctly on your website.
Option 3: You can also choose to update the code through Google Tag manger or other popular website platforms like WooCommerce, Wix, Shopify, Squarespace, BigCommerce, Magento, and Weebly.
5. Set up Pixel & Install events.
A Facebook Event is the conversion happening on your website. This can be a sale or a click on your call to action buttons. In order to track an event on your website or a landing page, you need to embed the pixel code you generated on your site where you want to see the conversions happening.
After setting up the code on your website
CLICK –> Continue and Install Events.
Check the events you would like to track.
Select Track Event on Page Load or Track Event on Inline Action.
- Select Track Event on Page Load to track your conversions after the page load. This can be a product signup confirmation page or final stage of the checkout process.
- Select Track Event on Inline Action to track someone after they click a Call-To-Action button or “Add to cart” option.
NEXT –> Add parameters like conversion value and currency. A code will be generated after you add the values.
NEXT –> Copy the event code and paste it on your landing page or website. To track the event on Page Load, place the code below closing header section. To track the event on a button, add the code between the script tag of the CTA button.
6. Can I create a pixel in Business Manager?
Yes, you can create a Facebook pixel in Business Manager if you have the account. This means that your business has different product websites with someone else managing your accounts. (For brands who relies on agencies for their social media campaign)
Setup instructions for a Facebook pixel in Business Manager:
Considering you are the admin of your brands Facebook page, go to Facebook Business Manager Settings.
- CLICK –> Pixels under People & Assets.
- CLICK –> Create a Facebook Pixel.
- Enter a name for your pixel.
- Agree to the Facebook Pixel Terms.
- CLICK –> Next
- To start installing your pixel on your website, CLICK –> Set Up Now (Check above instructions)
After creating Facebook Pixel, CLICK –> Assign Ad Accounts to associate with a pixel to an account,
7. Give access to partner or an agency
This option is mainly used to provide your pixel code to your agency which handles brands Facebook campaigns. To do that,
- Go to Business Settings
- Under Users CLICK –> Partners
- CLICK –> the blue + Add button
- Enter the Partner Business ID you want to add
- Choose a role for your partner and copy the shareable link
- CLICK –> Close
- Send your Partner your generated link as soon as possible.
By now, you have created your Facebook Pixel code, embedded on your website and learned how to share your Facebook Pixel code with your agency.
8. How to confirm your pixel’s working correctly?
For this, you need to install Facebook pixel helper which is a troubleshooting tool that helps you find out if your pixel is working correctly.
After you install this chrome extension, click the Pixel Helper icon in the address bar to check the pop up to see any pixels uploaded on that particular page.
Being an artist, movie buff and a media enthusiast, content writing is my career train. I am a proud alumni of Symbiosis Institute of Media Communication (Pune) and currently working for Vidooly.